Saturday, January 2, 2016

2016

I compiled a blog draft of my reflections in 2015, but there were just too many things to reflect on this year so I decided to start another one.

2015 whizzed by in the blink of an eye and here we are, in another leap year. I love leap years, something about having an extra day in the year just makes it something special. Like how every once in 4 years we have another 24 hours in the shortest month of the year, how the date 29 February holds some astronomical significance that it almost, romantic.

I digress. 2015 was mostly full of ups, fortunately. But time passed by so fast I hardly knew what hit me before it was over.

I was nominated by my lecturer to partake in an international convention, Spotlight Singapore Mexico City 2015. I was one of the 8 student delegates chosen to go, and the only one from Psychology. Learnt a lot, more importantly how I was able to be culturally intelligent. I was the one who got along best with the foreigners. I trained my public speaking skills, and was flexible in my first networking session, especially with people who weren't in my field of interest. Plus it was awesome flying to the other side of the world. I didn't fancy the food much, but I love the architecture, the atmosphere and the people.

Completed 5/6 of my uni life. Thank God for blessing me throughout my uni life and constantly giving me encouragement/solace and opportunities to make my uni life fulfilling,

Got my first office job. I worked for Stamford Education and did a lot more learning than expected. Even though I wasn't doing the type of research I would have liked to contribute, I learnt content writing, marketing, brand auditing, events planning, hosting, social media management and many more. Grateful to have gained so much valuable experience.

My first anniversary with a boyfriend. Although it didn't go the way I thought it would have, it was amazing nonetheless. I learnt so much from this relationship and I'm constantly growing and improving myself as a girlfriend and human being. So thankful to have ht in my life. 2016 will be an even better year for us <3

Danced my second production. I didnt really enjoy the experience. I would rate it a 2/10 actually. Felt shitty as a dancer most of the time and didn't really feel like I improved as a dancer from this production. Still very grateful to have so many people supporting me and cheering me on

My 21st birthday party. I didn't want to have one initially but I'm so glad I did in the end. This was the moment in my life that I actually felt so damn lucky. Seeing how my relatives postponed their flights to come to my party, how my aunts went around collecting my cake, ensuring everything was perfect for me. My closest friends who knew how much of a perfectionist I was and coming early to do my set up. Sukaa came to decorate my scrapbook cover. Rosa helped me throughout the planning process, Nicky and Jiaxin helped immensely with the booking, vetting, planning and logistics. Ak and Jas came all the way to Jurong freaking East and sat with me for hours doing my scrapbook. My sis helped me with ordering of things online and advising me on decor/cake. Hengthye helped so much on scene, ensuring everyone is ok and that the flow was not interrupted. Wanping came all the way from the airport the moment she touched down, just to surprise me. CAG and RYB were the most efficient team, making sure everyone wrote in the scrapbook. The amount of messages asking if I needed more help was so touching, that people truly care so much about me. My family, with their unconditional support, they made sure everyone had enough food and that I had the party I dreamt of. I didn't have a proper theme, but I had everyone and everything I love as a theme and that made that night so magical. When I was exhausted and tired my girls pulled me away and made sure I sat and had enough food and drink. They were my make up team, my dress up team, decor team, photography team and everything more. I love everyone in my life and am truly so touched by the people I have. I don't know what I ever did to deserve such beautiful people :')

Travelled with my ahma and my sis. We went to Japan and although we went on tour, it was the first time I was in charge of the trip. I thought it would be difficult at first, handling my ahma and my sis but it was a lot better than expected. I felt accomplished at the end of the trip. Oh, and I saw snow for the first time! :D

Tuition. I decided to go 'full time' tutoring and increased my rate a lot. When I first started as a tutor, I had a lot of doubts about my abilities and whether I would be a good tutor. Thus, when some students dropped me I took it very personally and was pretty upset and even afraid to offend any of my clients so that they would keep me. But now that I'm so much better I took a brave step and made my value much higher. To my surprise (and delight) almost all of them were ok with it and that made me feel so much better about myself and my capacity. I'm getting paid well now and I'm hoping I only get better.

Adult ready. I stopped taking allowance from my family. It's pretty common for most of my friends to still be getting allowance but in SIM a lot of my friends are v self sufficient, some even paying their own bills/sch fees like wtf are you human?!?! But they are, and it proves that I can be self sufficient too. It look courage and a lot of willpower to tell my mum not to give me allowance but it is liberating and I regret nothing. Even though she's still paying for my last semester in uni and my bills, it's baby steps to becoming a full-fledge adult. Nevertheless, I'm still proud of myself :)

Got a belly piercing, hehe. Something that I found so sexy for a very long time and after much pain, I GOT IT WAHOO.

All in all, it was a good year. Gonna keep improving myself, hopefully I can be a better dancer, student, writer, tutor, girlfriend.


No comments:

Post a Comment